.

.
Hola! My name is Rebecca Higham and I have been called to serve as a missionary for the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints in the Bolivia Santa Cruz mission. I start my journey on May 19, 2015 when I report to the Peru MTC. My sweet mother will be posting my weekly letters and pictures so you can follow along with my adventure ❤

Monday, January 18, 2016

Cali Babe

Well hello everyone! I would like you all to know that I safely made it to California and that I am doing well! Let me just catch you all up on this crazy past week that I have had! 

So Monday was my last day in my beloved Bolivia and it was spent with my beloved Bolivian friends. First, confession, I may or may not have emailed Elder Sperry and told him to meet me at hiper maxi so I could see him before leaving, so that was a mission no no haha BUT I was finally able to see him and boy was he an AWKWARD missionary! It was really hilarious and made me sad that I'm going to miss all of my friends awkward missionary stages this summer when they all start coming home haha. After that I had my final lunch with my cute Hermana Derly and it was delicious as usual. We went shopping with cute Hermana Derly and her family to get some souvenirs after and WOW I'm surprised all of my stuff fit into my luggage! They were pretty over weight... but I'm just surprised they fit! I wasn't able to buy a hammock though so I guess I'll just have to go back to Bolivia someday to get one haha. After that I had a lot of time to say goodbye to some of my best friends. That was the hardest part about all of this, leaving my cute friends. But I'm not worried about it because I know without a doubt that I will see them again someday, whether it be in this life or in the life to come. I left my cute companion and my apartment (with a cockroach in it) at 11:30 at night and went to the airport with some elders... which was weird... and then I was literally alone for like 24 hours which was weird... hahaha. But can I just say that flying from Bolivia to Panama to Houston to Denver to California was EXHAUSTING. I got no sleep so when I got to California I looked like I had gone through war! I reached California late Tuesday night and SURPRISE I didn't have my luggage. It got stuck in Denver. Hahahaha so that was fun BUT it was fine and they were there the next day so that was nice! And no worries, I have been received here in California with loving arms! They are really nice here and I haven't felt like an awkward outcast missionary from Bolivia yet so thats nice! But can I just say WOW I've gone through some great culture shock! The missionaries are SO SPOILED HERE! Let me just make a list of things that will BLOW the minds of all of my missionary friends in Bolivia:
-WE HAVE CARPET
-WE HAVE AN OVEN
-WE HAVE A CAR
-WE HAVE HOT WATER
-WE HAVE A MICROWAVE
-WE HAVE WALMART
-WE HAVE ANY FOOD PLACE YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE
And much much more! It has been really here and I'm starting to wonder what the challenges are for these missionaries here. Hahaha just kidding. But not really. Haha. It has been a weird adjustment and I feel like a new missionary all over again. Which is kind of fun when people think I'm new then I start speaking Spanish to them and they think I've just learned way fast in the MTC. What they don't know won't hurt them. Haha. And the missionaries are so different here. THINGS ARE JUST DIFFERENT. But I'm trying not to compare the two because Bolivia and California are polar opposites haha.  So I have a companion! She's a latina from Tennessee and she is adorable! She goes home in about 3 weeks so I'll have another companion coming up, but I'm grateful for the time that I have with her! She is adorable! We are pretty much starting fresh opening up an area. We are both new into this area, and we're starting out not knowing any members, we have no investigators, and we were given a new area book which I'm super excited about!! I'm excited to get back to my good health so we can just get out and start working and see how far we can get in 3 weeks! I'm pumped!! BUT fun news. So I haven't driven a car in like 8 months and Hermana Vega, my companion, her drivers license expired so I am the designated driver and so I get to jump into CALIFORNIA DRIVING. So that has been fun and stressful, but they give missionaries really nice cars so thats fun. 


I feel like this email is jumping everywhere. So sorry about that, a lot has just happened and my life is crazy so. Currently I am staying with the mission health nurse. She has been keeping track of what goes in and out of my body (fun stuff) and has been getting me back to health. She is an amazing woman and I have learned a lot from her! And it's kinda fun having an older companion (she's like 70) hahaha. Also, as we speak she just handed me a ball of oatmeal cookie dough so yes I am in GREAT hands haha. I went to the doctors this past week and had some more tests done so we will be getting those results either today or tomorrow. Hopefully all is well and we can figure out what is wrong! 


Throughout all of this, I've had a lot of time to just think about my life and Bolivia and I just have to keep telling myself to just keep looking forward and not look back. I'm trying not to compare the two missions and just trying to love this one just as much as I loved Bolivia. I know that I will, it's hard not to when you are serving others and being a representative of Jesus Christ. This past week and past month I have learned A LOT about humility and submitting to His will. My life is completely in His hands and I feel peaceful about all that has been going on this past week. Not once have I felt stressed because He has been there to comfort me and help me feel at peace. I know that I am supposed to be here in California and I am so grateful for this opportunity I have to be here. The people here are amazing and the missionaries are really fun! I can't wait to learn and grow from all of this and most of all, I can't wait to get out doing missionary work once again. WE HAVE A MEMBER FROM BOLIVIA. I haven't met her yet, but I'm so excited to meet her and have her make me Saltanas, Cunape, and yummy Bolivian foods. I am happy, I am feeling better, and most importantly, I'M A MISSIONARY. I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week! 


Con mucho amor


Cali Babe Hermana Higham

We finally saw Alek!








No comments:

Post a Comment