.

.
Hola! My name is Rebecca Higham and I have been called to serve as a missionary for the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints in the Bolivia Santa Cruz mission. I start my journey on May 19, 2015 when I report to the Peru MTC. My sweet mother will be posting my weekly letters and pictures so you can follow along with my adventure ❤

Monday, July 13, 2015

WOWOWOWWW

Hi. So I never really know how to start this things. and I'm probably on the crappiest computer in the entire world, I can see why they give us an extra half an hour to email because it takes that long to load hahaha what even is Bolivia. Anyways, so this week was full of ups and downs, but it was definitely great! This week was full of service which I thought was wonderful! We helped countless people clean their houses, we helped one less active move, we helped another less active move some plants, just a whole bunch of random service which I love! But it's moments like those that I realize I only know gospel related words... anything related to moving, plants, or cleaning are not in my vocabulary. I'm just that awkward quiet missionary that only says like two words and creepily smiles at everyone when I don't know what's going on. That's pretty much my life! haha. But it was great! We also helped a member fold baby clothes because she just had a baby this last week and holy guacamole it is the tiniest, cutest thing ever! And another member had her baby this week too and I realized that my biggest trial in the mission is going to be not holding all these adorable babies and children. Mom, you would die, they are the cutest things ever! And my pensionista has the cutest twin boy grandkids that are like 1 years old and they are sooo cute! While everyone speaks Spanish at lunch, I just watch them run into everything with their walkers and it's the silliest thing ever. Ah. It's definitely going to be my biggest trial not to pick them up! Ah.

Anyways, so we had a lesson with Miriam this week and can I just say that it was pretty awkward haha. So we had planned to talk to her about the word of wisdom and when we got there she offered us some hot chocolate or some coffee. So obviously we took the hot chocolate, but then she continued to make herself some coffee and it was all downhill from their. We discussed the word of wisdom while she was drinking her coffee and the spirit was there, but also I felt way awkward haha. So please pray for her! She hasn't come to church in a while and hasn't been home so we haven't been able to talk to her. Pray for her! Also, we had a lesson with another investigator named Alejandra and she is wonderful! We gave her the first lesson the other day and she just got it. She has such strong faith in Jesus Christ and prophets and is all around such a wonderful person! She isn't able to come to church because she works on Sundays (like every other person here) so please pray for her as well! It was way funny though, during the lesson her child was sitting in there for a little bit and when I was talking she just started laughing at me because my Spanish was so bad. The struggle is so real hahaha. We were also able to have a lesson with a recent convert/less active sister named Roberta and that lesson was quite the experience! So let me just give you a run down on what was happening - Roberta was washing clothes, we were sitting on pointy rocks, there was a cow standing 3 feet away from me, her child was yelling things at me in Spanish, and the member that came with us had a bloody nose. Like WHAT. But you know what's crazy, is that through all of that crazy nonsense the spirit was so strong! We were all so absorbed in the lesson that all the of distractions disappeared and you could see that she felt the spirit. It was awesome! This church is so true!

Speaking of washing clothes, I washed my clothes by hand for the first time and can I just say that I have not quite mastered the art of hand washing because I'm pretty sure they came out dirtier than they were before I washed them... hahaha. It's such a struggle. One day I'll master the art of hand washing clothes. Also, I have yet to figure out the weather here - it's either reallllly hot or reallly cold. No in between. It's been starting to warm up though which I am so grateful for because I have the body of a 90 year old woman and my bones have been hurting because it has been getting so cold. What even is Tarija haha. But may I just say that the stars and sunsets here are absolutely incredible! like wowowowowowwww it's so pretty here!

Anyways, so another story for the day. So once upon a time we were visiting with a member and after that lovely visit her dog started following us. Well, long story short, it ended up following us for 2 HOURS and it was so cute, but also way stressful because there were so many dog fights happening and I feared for that dogs life and also my own. We finally just had to take Samsung home. Silly Samsung. Also, another random fact. So theres a burger place like 2 steps from my apartment aaaand it is Sponge Bob themed. Like you could pretty much say that I have the Krusty Krab right next to my apartment sooo that's pretty cool. Also, I found the Ina's Workshop of Bolivia. Hahaha

Anyways, so that's pretty much it for the week! It was a great week full of ups and downs and I'm finally starting to realize what this whole mission life is like. But I absolutely love it and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! The Spanish is hard and I get frustrated when I can't say words, but I just have to keep reminding myself that I've only been here for 2 weeks. It's hard, the days are long and the weeks are short, but I love it and I am so grateful for the chance to bring others unto Christ! I love you all and have a fabulous week!

Shout out to my big bro - have a wonderful birthday and eat lots of yummy ice cream cake for me ya?

Also, sorry no pics this week! This computer is ancient and won't load them hahaha I promise I'll send some next week!

Love you all and have a wonderful week!!!!
Hermana Higham

No comments:

Post a Comment