.

.
Hola! My name is Rebecca Higham and I have been called to serve as a missionary for the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints in the Bolivia Santa Cruz mission. I start my journey on May 19, 2015 when I report to the Peru MTC. My sweet mother will be posting my weekly letters and pictures so you can follow along with my adventure ❤

Thursday, August 6, 2015

I Hiked A Mountain

Hi. So pretty much I feel like I was just writing you yesterday, time is going by sooo fast and it´s making me feel way weird! Like it´s August now! I still feel like it´s May! So weird! Anyways, this week was pretty usual and nothing too crazy happened! I mean maybe there was, I honestly can´t really remember this past week very well haha. Anyways, so last Monday we had the chance to hike the Cristo Mountain! And if you´re sitting there thinking "what is the Cristo Mountain?" it's a mountain that's really close to my area that says Cristo at the very top and we hiked to the top of it! It was pretty crazy, there wasn't really like a trail and there were a lot of bushy things, it was pretty much like walking through the nothingness part of Utah except at a pretty steep incline. I am really surprised none of us got hurt hahaha it was pretty sketchy and I was 95 percent sure I was going to fall to my death. But we made it all the way to the top! I bet if you googled "Cristo Mountain Tabladita Tarija" you might be able to find a picture of it. It was extremely hot last Monday too and we were on limited water supply so I'm surprised we made it! It's one of those things where you do it once in your life and never again. So that was exciting.


Ooo, another fun thing that happened this week is we had another taco night! We're thinking about making Taco Tuesday a thing because we love them so much. The Avacados here are huge and are just so tasty and I just want to put it on everything! So that was pretty exciting. Also, in honor of Hermana Parks brother getting married on Friday she bought a cake. We really like food in our apartment if you couldn't tell haha. I don't know what it is about this whole mission thing, but I'm ALWAYS hungry. Like I thought it was bad before the mission but WOOF I am constantly eating. So don't be surprised if I come home 50 pounds heavier hahaha.


So this last week us gringos had to go get our blood drawn for legal purposes so we can stay in Bolivia, so that was fun. And it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, the needle wasn't rusty like I thought it was going to be so that's good haha. And I got to see the peeps from my CCM district again which is always a good time. We also had to do some legal paperwork where I signed a bunch of papers. Apparently we have to do that often while we're here. Bolivia just doesn't want us to stay that long I guess haha.


Here's some more exciting news - we have someone who washes our clothes! My companion just failed to tell me that information this whole month that I've been here so after one month of being in Bolivia, my clothes are finally clean again. Which is really good because they were getting pretty dirty haha. Ew. I'm such a gross person. So I was pretty excited about that because now I don't have to take 5 hours to hand-wash my clothes!! YAY!



So I don't know if I've told you about the Dasilva family yet, but I'm going to. The mom, Fautima, is from Brazil and is probably one of the craziest people ever. Her two daugters were baptized 2 years ago and are inactive, but are great. Anyways, so when I first met Hermana Fautima she was always contentious with us about our teachings, but I think we've finally reached the point where she likes us and it slowly starting to listen to us which is fabulous! Anyways, so now that she likes us I've realized she's the funniest person ever. We showed up one night and both of the daughters were gone, but she still invited us in and she was watching this old video from the 90's on how to make goat cheese and was frantically taking notes and we weren't allowed to talk until it was over. So I was trying sooo hard not to laugh. Who makes goat cheese?! Hahahaha. And then she was telling us this story about one of her millions of cats and I have no idea what she was saying, but her actions made me cry. She's definitely one of those people that I will never forget. Hahaha.



So this is the part of the email where I talk about how amazing Miriam is! She is sooo great! She is continuing to read her scriptures, pray, and attend church, she is so great! She has so much faith and if it weren't for the whole marriage situation she would be baptized in a heartbeat! The other day when we were leaving her house she pointed to this random man (I think it was her cousin? Or her brother in law? Couldn't tell ya) but she pointed to him and said "I was talking to him a little bit about the gospel and he is interested." Then proceeded to give us his information and what we can to do help him. WHAT. She's not even a member and she's doing missionary work! We have to pry references out of members and we didn't even have to ask her for a reference and she gave us one! Like holy guacamole she's so great. We're hoping for a miracle this week with her husband! He usually just lets her go to church activities and such, but lately many of his friends and family have been scaring him by telling him false facts about us Mormons so he's not as lenient anymore. Like last Monday for FHE we went to pick her up and take her to a members house and she came out with tears in her eyes and said that her husband didn't want her to go. So we went to the members house all sad and about 20 minutes later we get a call from Miriam saying "he changed his mind! Where are you I'm coming!" and we were jumping for joy! She is so great so please keep her in your prayers!



That's pretty much it for the week! Thank you for all the love and support! This work is definitely hard and not what I was expecting at all, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and I wouldn't be able to do all this without our Heavenly Father on my side. I hope all is well at home and that you are all enjoying your summer! Love you all and have a great week!!



Hermana Higham

Picture from zone conference

No comments:

Post a Comment